YourHome.ca – From Church to Condo
Former Beach church converting to condos.
This landmark building has always welcomed people. Its doors opened in 1922 as a Methodist place of worship in Toronto’s Beach community, which was then more of a place that swelled with summer crowds seeking to escape the downtown heat on the accessible stretches of sand along Lake Ontario and find some fun at nearby Scarboro Beach amusement park.
At some point, the graceful but unpretentious red brick building on Queen St. E, a few blocks east of Woodbine, become Bellefair United Church, garnering landmark status as generations of local residents came to worship on Sundays, spilling out onto the street afterwards, no doubt marvelling at the change of season in Kew Gardens directly across the street.